Sunday, April 13, 2014

Can I get a hell ya?

Long time no see! Wow, I haven't posted in a while. As far as the knee goes, I don't have a whole lot to report. I have good days and I have not so good days. I had a little slip outside my shower last week that resulted in a lot of tears, a question of whether I need "Life Line" installed,  and perhaps a slight overreaction that I would never walk again...but the knee pulled through and within a few days, was back to it's regular so-so self. You know, it's almost been a year since I received the cartilage transplant, and I'm coming to terms with the fact that this will be a chronic condition that I will manage for the rest of my life. On "bad" days when I'm limping around with pain,  I do feel sorry for myself, but then I have to remember just how far I've come. I can take my pup for a walk around the block, I can work a full day without being heavily medicated, and I can travel and participate in activities that make me happy (walks on the beach, the occasional surf - booya!)  Overall, I'm a lucky chicky and  I see a bright future - a year ago, thinking about the future made me freak out. This is progress.

I've recently returned from a Speech-Language Pathology conference in Nashville. My expectations of Nashville weren't high to begin with - I'm not much of a country music fan and, upon glancing on a map, I didn't expect any trips to the beach or exceptionally hot weather. I asked my mom to join me and decided to make it a mother-daughter trip...and you know what? It was awesome! We had a great time and Nashville is definitely now on my top 5 list for "Cool US Cities You Should Visit:" 1) Austin 2) Charlotte 3) New Orleans 4) San Antonio 5) Nashville

As we arrived at the Nashville airport and were surrounded by young women 6'4 and taller, we soon realized that the Final Four for NCAA was taking place in Nashville that weekend. Wow! College basketball is like a big deal. A really big deal. Go UCONN! (I don't know that team, but everyone seemed to be cheering for them, so I'm hopping on that bandwagon).

We stayed at a hotel called the "Gaylord Opryland Resort and Convention Centre," which was a tourist attraction in itself. With 3000 rooms, a dozen restaurants, bars, and shops, and a flippin' river that runs through the hotel, one could definitely spend a week wandering around looking for their room (Ok, it took mom and I about half an hour, but seriously).
This is just a portion of the "lobby" Can you say overkill?
My conference was incredible! I learned a ton. However, the one thing I noticed when I looked around at my fellow speechies was the lack of scarves. I'm not sure if these Speech Pathologists didn't get the memo, but SLP's are SUPPOSED to wear scarves. It's like an international rule. That's just how we do things. 

Although I did have the opportunity to live in the south for a few years - Ev played hockey in Mississippi and Georgia, which I would consider to be the "deep south," I kinda forgot that things are just a little different down there. For one, southern folk have a special way of disguising things to sound friendlier than their intended meaning. A southerner could totally throw out an insult but you wouldn't  realize it. For example, a common southern phrase is "Bless her heart." For example, "Bless her heart, she got lost in that big hotel!" With that singsong lilt and soft Nashville twang, it actually sounds quite lovely. What it actually means is: "She is a friggin idiot and has no sense of direction." For real. Those southerners are on to something. The have perfected the art of dissing. We could learn from them. 

Little Jimmy Dickens - all 4'11 of him!
Southerners are also much more passionate than we are. During our conference, our speaker, a Speech-Language Pathologist from Alabama, would deliver a strong statement and then follow it up with a "Can I get a hell ya?" Amazingly, the room would erupt in "Hell ya!" What the hell ya is going on here? As I looked around the room at my scarveless counterparts, I wondered if I had been transported to an alternate universe. However, by the 12th hour of lecture, I was right in there like a dirty shirt, throwing my hands up in the hair and hollerin' "Hell Ya!" Awwww....bless her heart. 

While I was attending my conference, my mom took in the Country Hall of Fame and a few other tourist attractions and then we met up for a few days of mother-daughter time in Nashville. We attended the Grand Ole' Opry, which was quite the experience. Given that it was the Country Music Awards weekend in Las Vegas, all the "big" country celebrities were out of state that weekend, so we settled for the "grand-daddies" of country music. We laughed as each performer seemed to get older and older until we were finally graced with the presence of Little Jimmy Dickens, a 4'11, 94 year old country star who is a popular presence at the Grand Ole' Opry. His cowboy hat was bigger than he was, but the guy could still perform! 

Mama and I also toured downtown Nashville, which was the highlight for me. The downtown core has super cool party vibe, with tons of bars and restaurants  - and unbelievably hot talent performing around the clock in every bar. These country singers have come to Nashville to make it big time, and the streets are filled with performers walking around with guitar cases, just hoping to be discovered. I don't wanna brag or anything, but a dude who works at Coyote Ugly asked if mom and I would like to dance on the bar. No big deal, but we decided against it. Next time, mom. Hehe. 

The final awesome thing about Nashville was this:

Yes! It's a bar on a bike. Incredible! Get in shape while you drink! This "Pedal Pub" drove up and down the streets of Nashville, blasting country tunes, while happy patrons simultaneously got drunk and burned calories. Genius. Can I get a hell ya?! HELL YA!

Overall, it was a great little trip to Nashville and it was so wonderful to spend some time with one of my favourite people in the whole wide world. Without complaint, Mom has spent the last few years recruited back as my caregiver. She's been there for me - caring for me and cheering me on through all 4 surgeries and recoveries. I don't know what I would do without my mom. Now we can get back to spending time together as friends - enjoying each other's company and experiencing fun places together again. I am so grateful for my mama -  Love you, mom!
A selfie at the Grand Ole' Opry 



No comments:

Post a Comment