Sunday, July 7, 2013

Sometimes I get a good feeling

One of my goals in life is to surround myself with awesomeness - positive people who will only lift me higher. I'm obviously succeeding in accomplishing this goal! Wow. After my last post, I received a whole pile of texts, phonecalls, and facebook messages of encouragement. Thanks guys. That was a tough one to post but I'm glad I did. I know it was probably too much information for a lot of people, but if it helped or enlightened even one person, then it was worth it.

I have one week of non-weight bearing to go....for a grand total of 8 weeks. I feel good. I'm so excited...but super nervous at the same time. The last 7 weeks have been strictly "love the cartilage" time. I've massaged it, EZmended it, kissed it, sunned it, wined it, dined it, and sung happy songs to it (The Turtles: "So happy together" is a current fav). I've done all that I can do to ensure that it wants to join "Team Kirstie." I think that I've convinced it, but I won't know for sure until I start testing it a little. I think it's ready though. I've got a good feeling.

In honour of my one-week countdown, I've decided to post a list that I've been creating and adding to for the past 6 months. It's my list of cool shit I will do when my knee is better. I have like 245 items now...I will share my top 10 because 245 would be a bit excessive now, wouldn't it?

Cool Shit that I will do once my knee works:

1. Jump to every song that contains the word "jump" in it. Top favorites include: Kriss Kross: "Jump" and House of Pain: "Jump Around" -  "I came to get down, I came to get down, so get off your feet and jump around." Someone will pop a bottle of champagne and I will jump as the champagne rains down on me (being careful not to slip, of course). I have goosebumps just thinking about it...

2. Walk confidently across a crowded room - currently my biggest fear is having to get up and crutch/cane/limp in front of a room full of people. I will confidently strut across a room and if anyone notices me, it'll be strictly because of my awesomeness - not because of my injury.

3.  Attend a week-long surf camp somewhere cool like Panama or Costa Rica. Becoming a proficient ocean surfer is a dream of mine. In fact, if I could be any movie character I would be Kate Bosworth's character in "Blue Crush" (although I would have at least waited until the 3rd date to sleep with that football dude. Isn't there some new "rule" about 3rd dates? I dunno, my last date was 1997).

4. Take my fabulous niece and nephew for a bike ride. I worry that their childhood memory of Aunty Kirstie will be of me laying on a couch with an "owie." I want them to associate Aunty Kirstie with fun and energy.

5. Pass the Thessaly in Dr. M's office. The Thessaly test is a quick little diagnostic that can detect cartilage tears. The patient stands on his bad leg, bends it slightly and hops. I know it's not a pass/fail type of test but mine is always "positive" which to me, represents failure. I don't fail tests. And apparently, practicing won't actually help you (I can still hear Dr. M, "You can't PRACTICE the Thessaly. It's a diagnostic." haha. Someday I will pass this damn thing and Dr. M and I will celebrate with a polka.

6. Longboard down the Rotary Trail. I had just learned how to longboard and was loving it prior to my injury. I can't wait to get back on that board - with a helmet of course...and maybe a suit of armour, just to be safe.

7. Find my ass. I know it's somewhere. If found, please return ASAP. It is dearly missed.

Best CD EVER. 
8. Tour a vineyard. I'm thinking one in the Okanagan would suffice. I picture myself skipping joyfully through fields of grapes...er wait....I picture myself stomping on the grapes like they do in the movies. I will have a canteen on my back that connects to a straw in my mouth. I will drink wine all day. Red, White, whatevs. I will not discriminate.

9. Drive my car. Where, you ask? Who cares. Sunroof open, 90's CD music blasting (that's right...CD. I am most likely the only person left on earth who listens to CD's. And yes, I still have Ace of Base and it's awesome). Maybe I want a Tims? Maybe I want the latest US magazine? Sushi perhaps? Who cares - I will hop in my car and drive wherever the hell I want to go with no need to pre-plan all my rides in advance (by the way, thanks soooooo much to anyone who has chauffeured my scrawny little ass around over the past 2 months. You rock)

10. I  decided to combine three of my goals into one because I couldn't decide which one best qualified for top 10: I will take my dog, Dundee, for a walk in my sexiest high heels, whilst occasionally dropping it like it's hot. Best walk ever! Someday I will video that little gem for you and we will all know that I've reached the ultimate goal. That will be saweet!

Oh boy! Did someone say...WALK???
Bonus: In the last 3 days, I've endured 4 strangers' long, incredibly boring stories about this one time when they "blew the knee out." First of all: Is "blowing out the knee" an actual Orthopedic diagnosis? Did you step on a land mine? What the h does that mean? Second of all, you are currently walking. I am not. I am not at all impressed, nor do I care. So....I have to add #11 to this list: I vow to find each and every stranger who subjected me to their lame knee stories. I will tie them down, cover their mouth with duct tape and then describe (in painstaking detail) each and every surgery and knee pain that I sustained. Bahhahahahah (evil laugh).

Other suggestions?

2 comments:

  1. Jump to every song with jump in it - excellent idea. Then you can light a match to every song that rhymes fire with desire... though that might take the rest of your life.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Since hubby's a firefighter, that should work just fine!

    ReplyDelete